Mommy Makeover in Toronto
Mothers give so much of themselves to their families and get a wonderful sense of fulfillment in return, but pregnancy and raising children often bring about unwelcome body changes that are difficult to reverse. A mommy makeover at the Toronto practice of Dr. Marc DuPéré can address those cosmetic concerns and restore your body to the way it was before baby, giving you the confidence you need to live your best life. By combining several different procedures into one surgery, patients can completely customize their results, giving them an unmatched level of control.
How Can a Mommy Makeover Help?
Mommy makeover surgery refers to any combination of procedures performed at the same time to enhance a woman’s body after pregnancy and aging. Because no 2 women are exactly alike, no 2 mommy makeovers follow the same steps.
A mommy makeover is especially appealing because it allows patients to treat multiple areas of their body at once, reducing the total downtime and cost necessary for recuperation compared with getting separate procedures.
Because there is no official standard for mommy makeover surgery, each one can be completely customized to each patient. Some women see significant changes in their breasts after pregnancy, while others are more bothered by their lower bodies or other areas. Regardless of your concerns, Dr. DuPéré can create the results you desire.
Your Mommy Makeover Options
The endless options for customization are what make mommy makeovers so appealing. Instead of adopting a “one size fits all” approach, Dr. DuPéré, being a plastic surgeon and an artist, can adjust his surgical plan to suit your precise specifications, focusing on your areas of utmost concern. For most patients, the mommy makeover combines some sort of breast enhancement with abdominoplasty. However, others have incorporated other forms of body contouring and even facial enhancements to their surgeries. During your initial consultation with Dr. DuPéré, you’ll discuss your desired outcome and work together to develop a surgical plan that exceeds your expectations. Read on to learn about the most common choices.
- Tummy tuck: Tummy tuck surgery, also called abdominoplasty, is especially popular with mothers because it removes stretched and sagging skin in addition to reducing excess fat. It also allows Dr. DuPéré to repair damaged or bulging ab muscles to restore a sleek midsection contour. Abdominoplasty always requires a horizontal scar, which may extend from hip to hip, but Dr. DuPéré makes it as low as possible on the abdomen to ensure it remains covered by clothing and undergarments. Some ladies may be candidates for the mini-abdominoplasty and its shorter incision. In many cases, stretch marks or C-section scars can even be removed during this procedure. The belly button, which is also affected with pregnancies, will also be rejuvenated (umbilicoplasty) with a tummy tuck procedure.
- Liposuction: For most patients who get a tummy tuck, Dr. DuPéré includes liposuction to remove any stubborn fat from the abdominal, flank, and lower back roll areas. Many mothers also choose to get liposuction in other places where fat has accumulated after pregnancy, including in the hips, thighs, inner knees, bra rolls, and even under the chin.
- Fat grafting: Dr. DuPéré frequently performs fat transfer for patients who desire to augment and rejuvenate a separate area while using the unwanted fat removed during the tummy-tuck procedure. This is a popular option for women who want to restore facial volume, but it’s also commonly used for enhancing areas of the body during procedures such as Brazilian butt lift.
- Breast augmentation: Pregnancy and breastfeeding can markedly affect a woman’s breasts, altering their size, shape, and density. Breast augmentation with implants is one of the most popular forms of surgical breast enhancement for mommy makeovers here in Toronto, as it helps mothers restore volume that often fades after breastfeeding.
- Breast lift: It’s also common for mothers to see their breasts sag with stretched skin after pregnancy. A breast lift can reverse these changes by removing excess tissue, reshaping and remodeling the gland, suspending the new mound to the chest muscle fascia, and, just as the name implies, lifting the breasts to a perkier, more youthful position. Dr. DuPéré frequently combines a breast lift with implants for women who are concerned about both volume and sagging.
- Breast reduction: Although not quite as popular, it’s not at all uncommon for a mother to want her breasts reduced after pregnancy. Dr. DuPéré can remove tissue that causes the breasts to be overly large or burdensome, creating a more appealing appearance and enhancing comfort.
- Vaginal rejuvenation: It’s common for mothers to want to repair damage caused by childbirth. Dr. DuPéré is very experienced with a variety of options for this sensitive area, and he approaches each case with compassion.
- Brazilian butt lift: Dr. DuPéré can use your own fat to add volume and shape to sagging buttocks with this surgery, which is becoming a more popular choice for mommy makeover patients. Buttock implants are also commonly used to add volume and for a natural-looking shape.
- Other body procedures: Dr. DuPéré is also a specialist in a variety of other body contouring treatments, such as abdominal etching and body implants, and he is glad to incorporate these treatments into a mommy makeover.
- Facial procedures: Some women find that the mommy makeover is the perfect time to undergo facial procedures that reverse the signs of aging or enhance certain features.
Recovering From a Mommy Makeover
Preparing for Recovery
- Get your home ready: Do basic chores and errands, get a few books, movies and your iPad ready and prepare your bed or a comfortable recliner with lots of pillows.
- Think about food: Purchase some low-sodium, easy-to-prepare foods. You might want to make and freeze meals in advance.
- Arrange childcare: You won’t be able to pick up your little ones for a few weeks.
- Pick up prescriptions: You’ll get these during your last preoperative appointment.
Due to the extensive nature of many mommy makeover procedures, it’s vitally important to allow yourself plenty of time to rest and recuperate at home after surgery. Although the exact length of your recuperation depends on which procedures you had, most of Dr. DuPéré’s mommy makeover patients take at least 2 weeks off work and other responsibilities.
During this time, you’ll need to have a friend or family member help you around the house, especially with physical activities such as cleaning. You may need to avoid stooping and heavy lifting for some time, and exerting yourself can raise your blood pressure and affect your body’s natural healing processes. You’ll also need to refrain from driving while you are using prescribed pain medicine.
During your follow-up appointments, Dr. DuPéré evaluates your healing and removes sutures and bandages. Drains are often used. He also clears you to resume activities such as exercise and intimacy. However, you’ll have a good sense of the type of recuperation you can expect well before your surgery date.
Potential Risks and Complications
While undergoing multiple procedures in a single surgery is safe, Dr. DuPéré prefers to keep total surgical time less than 6 hours if possible. Your age and medical history will be taken into consideration. No surgery is completely without risk. Although Dr. DuPéré has an excellent safety record, complications are always possible. These can include:
- Excessive bleeding
- Problems related to wound healing
- Fluid buildup
- Excessive scarring
- Nerve damage
- Blood clots
Dr. DuPéré carefully screens each patient prior to surgery to evaluate her candidacy, and he doesn’t perform mommy makeover on any patient who has a medical condition that precludes her from safely undergoing the surgery. Not smoking is also crucial to avoid some complications. By adhering to your post-surgical instructions, you can do your part to ensure your recuperation is smooth, comfortable, and uneventful.Back to Top