Requests for transgender/gender reassignment surgery in Toronto have increased dramatically over the past 15 years. This rise can be explained by the fact that our society has become more open-minded, the media is talking more about it, and that Toronto is Canada's largest metropolis with a great diversity of cultures and communities.
Visage Clinic offers an array of non-genital procedures tailored to the transgender community. Request a consultation with Dr. Marc DuPéré or call our office at (416) 929-9800.
About Transgender Surgery
Like language itself, the vocabulary referring to gender identification changes over time. Terms currently used for this purpose include transgender, trans, trans-male, trans-female, female-to-male (FTM), and male-to-female (MTF). The names of relevant surgical procedures also incorporate these words. Visage Clinic understands that not everyone whose appearance or behavior is gender-nonconforming will identify as a transgender person.
Why Choose Dr. DuPéré?
Dr. Marc DuPéré is one of Toronto's standout plastic
surgeons, and he's especially adept at enhancing and
improving the breasts for many reasons — including the
Meet Dr. DuPéré
Request Your Consultation
- His surgical technique reduces recovery time and
minimizes trauma to the delicate tissues of the breast
- His masterful blending of aesthetics and science
creates results that are not only beautiful, but safe and
- He's a fellow of the Royal College, a member of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons, a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, and a member of the French Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (SOFCEP), ensuring his skills stay sharp and up to today's standards
- Practices the "no-touch" Keller Funnel technique in breast augmentation to decrease risk of capsular contracture, and uses of triple antibiotics and nipple shields to improve results
- He completed a fellowship in Paris, France, with two French masters of breast surgery, Dr. Bricout and Dr. Petouin
- As an artistic sculptor, he has a natural eye for the body's proportions, anatomy, and the appearance of a natural-looking result
Dr. DuPéré's Trans-Male (FTM) Gender Reassignment Techniques
Dr. DuPéré often performs bilateral mastectomies and male chest wall reconstruction/contouring for patients seeking trans-male (FTM) surgery, often incorporating liposuction. He uses 3 different techniques for this procedure, depending on the patient's anatomy:
- The double incision, or free nipple technique, used for patients with larger breasts who require a significant amount of skin and breast tissue excision. This method includes a nipple or areolar graft. On average, an areolar graft offers a faster recovery. Patients do not maintain sexual sensation in their nipples.
- The periareolar technique, used for smaller breasts. This technique leaves only a circular scar at the periphery of the areola.
- The keyhole technique with an anchor-style of scar (also known as an inverted T scar), as seen in classic breast reduction. This technique results in a vertical scar, which might be acceptable for females but less so for males unless the patient is extremely hairy and/or somewhat overweight.
Other common procedures for patients desiring FTM surgery include:
Dr. DuPéré's Trans-Female (MTF) Gender Reassignment Techniques
Dr. DuPéré often performs tracheal shave procedures for patients seeking trans-female (MTF) surgery. He makes a small incision under the chin and surgically shaves down the tracheal cartilage (Adam's apple) to give a more feminine look to the neck.
Other common procedures for patients desiring MTF surgery include:
Facial feminization through: