Here are some of the many reasons plastic surgeons are the best choice for hair transplant and hair restoration in Toronto and throughout Canada.
1. Plastic surgeons have been trained for decades (dating back to 1926!!!) in hair-bearing scalp restoration with various advancement and rotation flaps, tissue expansion, hair orientation and hair-preserving incisional techniques; therefore, we are the most educated, experienced, and manually and technically trained in surgery on this part of the body—significantly more than ENTs, dermatologists, and family doctors. Plastic surgeons are, after all, surgeons for the skin and soft tissues.
As an example, our our curriculum includes a strong component on scalp surgery. In our plastic surgery training, surgical scalp/hair restoration could be classified into following headings:
- Hair transplantation: strip, FUE (follicular unit extraction), robotic
- Scalp flaps
- Rotation flaps
- Transposition flaps
- Temporo-Parieto–Occipital – (pedicled)/Juri flaps (TPO flaps)
- Temporo-Parieto–Occipital (free/microvascular) flaps
- Lateral scalp flaps
- Temporal vertical flaps
- Other flaps
- Alopecia Reduction (AR)
- Simple AR
- Major AR/scalp lift
- AR with prior scalp extension (non-volumetric)
- AR with prior tissue expansion (volumetric)
- AR with intraoperative stretching (volumetric and non-volumetric)
2. Plastic surgeons are known to be innovators, so we are well-versed in the newest lasers and the newest FUE (follicular unit extraction) techniques.
3. Prior to 2010, hair restoration surgery was unregulated in Ontario, Canada, and could be performed by anyone in Ontario. Now, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario has justly realized hair restoration procedures should be regulated and performed in properly inspected and accredited facilities for optimal safety, sterility, and quality; to this effect, VISAGE Clinic has achieved the highest accreditation level—Level 3—and, therefore operates under the safest and most sterile of all levels of facilities to offer hair transplantation.
4. VISAGE has an accredited overnight facility and complimentary underground parking, offers a concierge 24/7, a private entrance and a private exit for optimal privacy.
5. Being in downtown Toronto since 2001, Dr. DuPéré has a very strong male clientele for BOTOX, fillers, eyelid lift, pectoral implants, etching, calf implants, chin and jaw angle implants, etc., so we are accustomed to provide the highest level of care, quality, and customer service to both men and women. Dr. DuPéré understands that procedures are different for males versus females (for example, males have larger and more numerous pores, thicker skin, different hair patterns, a greater tendency to bleed, and downtime is managed differently).
6. Plastic surgeons are the most artistic and meticulous surgeons, both crucial qualities for successful and natural-looking results.
7. VISAGE has a strong multi-professional team and the most caring team of nurses in Toronto.
8. Dr. DuPéré travels several times a year to perfect his art and to teach others in the procedures he performs in Toronto.
9. Dr. DuPéré and VISAGE are experts in PRP treatment, an important component to hair transplantation and restoration with pre-treatment conditioning and post transplantation maintenance. To this effect, VISAGE has a dedicated PRP clinic. PRP contains several growth factors important for the survival and growth of the hair follicles. VISAGE offers the richest PRP system—the Harvest system—with up to 1.5 million platelets per ml, the same used by Olympic and NFL/NHL athletes.
Make sure to read this blog post on PRP!
To learn more about the difference in care and hair restoration results plastic surgeons provide, contact us using our online form. I look forward to meeting with you.
Dr. Marc DuPéré, plastic surgeon