As discussed in part 1 of this blog, there are a lot of changes that our skin goes through from the damage caused by ultraviolet rays from unprotected and/or prolonged sun exposure. In this blog post, I will discuss some of the skin care precautions and medical spa approaches Toronto men and women can take to help prevent this damage.
One of the best ways to avoid sun damage is to avoid direct sun exposure. If you find yourself at the beach, try to seek shade from an umbrella or tree. The daily use of a sunscreen with SPF of at least 30 that offers broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection against ultraviolet radiation is your number one protection against the sun’s damaging rays and should be used by everyone who is exposed to daily sun.
Remember the sunlight is also reflected by the water (and snow in the winter). For those days when you will be exposed to the sun for longer periods of time while enjoying outdoor activities such as running, swimming and playing sports, I suggest picking a sunscreen that is water-resistant; this type of sunscreen won’t easily rinse off in the water or while sweating and will stay on longer than regular ones.
In addition to our face, we should also concern ourselves with protecting the rest of our body as it can also be damaged and start to show the unwanted signs of premature skin aging. Protect the whole body with a good quality broad-spectrum sunscreen daily. And for males with thinning hairs, wear a hat to protect your scalp.
Our favorite sunscreens include:
- Elta MD sport SPF 50 is a great water-resistant broad-spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with 9% transparent zinc oxide and antioxidant protection, making it ideal for summer and beach holidays. Its lightweight formula is great to use on the face and body.
- Elta MD UV Daily broad-spectrum SPF 40 is a sheer facial sunscreen with hyaluronic acid to boost the skin’s hydration and help diminish fine lines. This sunscreen comes in a tint or a clear formula that can be worn alone or under make-up; this a must-have for everyday sun protection.
Dressing for Success
Clothing is also very helpful in filtering these unwanted UV rays, wearing a light long sleeve shirt and long skirts or long pants help to protect our bodies from unwanted sun exposure; when possible, the use of clothing made with UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) will help provide additional protection.
For additional facial protection, the use of a wide-brimmed hat that shades your face, ears, and neck is ideal, to help protect your eyes and the delicate skin around the eyes. Wear sunglasses with 100% UV block; wrap-around glasses offer additional protection by filtering stray rays and polarized lenses help reduce glare, therefore providing additional protection.
A good way to stave off dehydration is by using a daily serum and moisturizer that contain hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, vitamin E, hydrolyzed pearl protein, essential fatty acids, and ceramides to name a few.
Our favorite products include:
- Forlle’d P-effect essence, this lightweight deep hydrating serum with low-molecular ionized hyaluronic acid and pearl proteins will also strengthen the skin’s structure and prevent premature skin aging.
- Biologique Recherche Crème Dermo-RL is a deep replenishing and repairing treatment that deeply nourishes the skin and prevents it from depleting its natural moisture with a combination of Blackcurrant butter, NMF (natural moisturizing factor) and Hyaluronic acid.
Preventing Pigmentation-Based Damage
Avoid pigmentary changes by using products that have at least one or more of these ingredients: Antioxidants, Hydrolyzed platinum, Hydrolyzed pearl protein, kojic acid, vitamin C, Niacinamide, Glutathione, Liquorice extract, Glycolic acid, and Azelaic acid. When using Products with glycolic, kojic, lactic or azelaic acids, make sure you avoid direct sun exposure immediately after applying them, they are best used at night.
Our favorite lightening and brightening products include:
- Biologique Recherche Sérum PIGM 400, this serum offers great protection against free radicals that slow the aging of the skin with a combination of lightening and protective active ingredients that also illuminate the complexion and lighten pigmentation. This serum delivers natural organic ingredients such as Watercress Sprout Extract, Sea Lily Extract, and Plum Pulp extract to name a few.
- Forlle’d Platinum Face cream is a great anti-aging moisturizer that delivers the ultimate hydration packed with the best antioxidants, low molecular hydrolyzed Platinum in combination with low-molecular hyaluronic acid will deeply hydrate your skin and provide powerful protection against free-radical damage and pigmentation.
Medical Spa Treatments
At our Toronto medical spa, we can further help you on the journey to healthier, brighter, rejuvenated, and youthful skin with our intensive selection of medical-grade facials, peels, and a combination of the latest innovative and revolutionary laser and light-based treatments that will target sun damage, sun spots, broken vessels, diffuse redness, skin laxity, fine lines, wrinkles, and will also boost the body’s natural ability to fight premature ageing and help delay the long-term signs of skin aging, while restoring the skin’s youthful glow.
We can’t wait to help you achieve your healthiest skin yet. Interested in a skin analysis and skincare consultation at our medical spa in Toronto? Contact us online or call (416) 929-9800.
Gabriela Madrid, Master Aesthetician