Did you know that your skin, face and body’s “youthful look” has less to do with age than how your skin is being treated? Smoking and tanning cause skin on the face and body to start looking old faster than someone who is skin smart: your skin will produce collagen at a much slower rate; your skin will start to look dull; the neck begins to sag and fine lines will begin to develop along with deep wrinkles around the mouth, eyes and forehead; and Alas! brown spots – aka age spots – begin to appear! This is called “Pre-mature Aging” resulting from less-than-perfect lifestyle. But the problem is… you are only 35!
The good news is that you can stop the premature aging process and reversing the damage done is possible.
Here are the essential Anti-Aging Do’s:
– Do go to a Board-Certified Specialist! When considering anti-aging procedures, wrinkle injections or surgery, you will get your best advice and the best results with a specialist that has a minimum of 5 years specialty training. At VISAGE MD Clinic in Toronto, plastic surgeon Dr. Marc DuPéré has more than 13 years of experience, in addition to being Gold Medalist for in his medical school! The VISAGE Clinic was also voted TOP plastic surgery clinic in Toronto for both 2013 and 2014 and TOP Cosmetic clinic in Toronto for 2014! So you are in good hands!
– Do use Vitamin A every day! Clinical data proves prescription Vitamin A is the one best anti-aging product that works. Physician-only skin care systems like ZO by Dr. Zein Obagi, have a pharmaceutical grade delivery system that works together with Vitamin A to repair, renew and maintain your skin’s youthfulness.
– Do wear sunscreen every single day, even in winter and cloudy days. UVB rays (cancer causing) are less in winter but the UVA rays (aging) are constant and can penetrate glass. Remember also that sunrays are reflected by snow and water!
– Do consider laser skin treatments. Lasers and IPL / BBL treatments have revolutionized anti-aging treatments. Laser treatments are now some of the most common options for sun damaged skin, facial redness, spider veins and for improving skin texture and tone.
Here are the absolute Anti-Aging Don’ts:
– Don’t ignore your hands, neck and chest. For men, don’t forget about the top of the head if balding. Brown spots and red scaly lesions are a sign of poor skin health and should be checked by a doctor. They are not attractive either!
– Don’t smoke. Take a look at a long-time smoker. Their skin is drab, wrinkled and leathery. Smoking is the 2nd biggest cause of skin damage after the sun. The nicotine constricts the blood vessels and restricts the flow of oxygen to the skin. Smoking is just bad for your health in general! There is nothing good – nor cool – about smoking.
– Don’t tan! Even if the brown spots and wrinkles have not appeared yet, guaranteed they will. UVB is the number one cause of skin cancer that can be disfiguring if not life threatening. Skin cancer is the fastest growing cancer among females age 20 through 30, increasing at an annual rate of 5%. Scary!
– Don’t look for cheap deals for wrinkle injections, laser, anti-aging and surgery. No one wants to really change their looks. Refreshed and youthful is the new look in non-surgical rejuvenation. Facial sculpting is an art not only a science. Make sure you have the best! Being able to hold a syringe do not make the injector an artist. You should definitively discover – or rediscover! – the artist in board-certified Toronto plastic surgeon Dr. Marc DuPéré!
By Joyce Palmer